Garlic scapes are the green tops or flower stems of hard-neck garlic plants. They develop in late spring or early summer and are usually removed in order to redirect the plant’s energy towards producing the garlic bulb.
Scapes contain all of the health benefits of garlic while having only a mild garlic flavour. Just like the garlic bulb, the scape may possibly decrease cardiovascular disease, lower cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, and the risk of particular cancers. Garlic has been proven to raise the immune system while lowering inflammation. Scapes are a good source of vitamin C and B6, calcium, manganese, and selenium.
Garlic Scapes with Pesto Rosso
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- ½ cup almonds or cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp chili pepper flakes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 20-30 Garlic Scapes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or other light oil
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- Add all pesto ingredients to a food processor and run for about 30 seconds to finely chop and blend all ingredients.
- Toss the scapes in the sunflower oil
- Heat a barbecue grill to medium-high heat (about 400° F) and grill the scapes on a grilling tray for about 3 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle the scapes with the salt and serve with the pesto, crackers or crusty bread.