While you can easily adapt this recipe to use all fresh ingredients, I find this to be an ideal way to save a thawed, uneaten shrimp ring and leftover crudités.
Has this ever happened to you? You’ve just asked your party guests to sit down for the main meal when you scan the appetizers and see that you have an uneaten shrimp ring and a partly eaten veggie platter.
Before these prepared treasures sit out too long, put them in the fridge so that you can give them a reprieve and save them for lunch tomorrow. With the addition of a few common ingredients, you’ll have an easy and delicious bisque that you may find comparable to one you may have enjoyed in a high-end seafood restaurant. And how satisfying it will be to know that your shrimp and vegetables have not gone to waste.
How to make shrimp bisque
- Start by making a simple seafood broth. Remove the tails and any of the shells from the shrimp. Simmer them in water for about 15 minutes to extract the flavours, strain.
- Make a mirepoix by sautéing onion, celery and carrot in butter until tender.
- Add the shrimp, broth and seasonings. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Purée these ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Mix the purée with tomato soup then blend in a little cream.
Easy Shrimp Bisque
- 20-30 medium precooked shrimp
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 1 rib of celery diced
- 1 cup chicken or seafood stock
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup table cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Remove the tails (and shells) from the shrimp. Return the shrimp to the refrigerator. Add the tails (and shells) with 2 cups of water to a large pot or wok. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Strain out and discard the tails (and shells) and save the liquid, set aside.
- Sauté the vegetables in butter until tender. Add the reserved shrimp tail broth, chicken stock and shrimp; simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Pour these ingredients into a blender. Blend on medium until mixture is smooth; add milk to thin if required.
- In a soup pot, add tomato soup and gradually add (remaining) milk.
- Once soup and milk are well blended add the spices and blended ingredients then bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream just before serving.
NutritionPer serving Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Iron: 1mg
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave your rating and comment below.
Tag @the_worldonaplatter on instagram and
Hashtag it #easyshrimpbisque