You’ve just asked your party guests to sit down for the main meal when you scan the appetizers and see that you have an uneaten shrimp ring and a partly eaten veggie platter. Before these prepared treasures sit out too long, put them in the fridge so that you can give them a reprieve and save them for lunch tomorrow. With the addition of a few common ingredients, you’ll have an easy and delicious bisque that compares to anything you may have enjoyed in a high-end seafood restaurant. And how satisfying it will be to know that your shrimp and vegetables have not gone to waste.
Easy Shrimp Bisque
- 20-30 medium precooked shrimp deveined, shells and tails removed
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 1 rib of celery diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup table cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Sauté vegetables in butter until tender. Add chicken stock and shrimp; simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Pour these ingredients into a blender. Blend on medium until mixture is smooth; add milk to thin if required.
- In a soup pot, add tomato soup and gradually add (remaining) milk.
- Once soup and milk are well blended add the spices and blended ingredients then bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream just before serving.