This spicy grilled shrimp dish captures the mouth-watering flavours of Thai cuisine.
Shrimps on the barbie, prawns on the grill or barbecue jumbo shrimp – they are delicious however you say it in your part of the world. There are lots of marinades and seasoning options for shrimp but this one has to be one of my favourites. Give yourself a little prep time before diner, put those beauties in the fridge to marinate while you have a cocktail and perhaps some apps, then prep them for grilling in about an hour. After marinating in Thai basil, lime, chili, garlic and peanut oil, skewer those jumbo shrimp and grill them to perfection.
Thai Grilled Shrimp
- 1 lb 450 g raw jumbo shrimp deveined, peeled, tails removed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp garlic 1 clove minced
- ½ cup Thai basil fresh chopped
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 1 tsp sambal chile paste or to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice 1 lime
- 4-6 wooden skewers
- Add the salt and garlic to a large shallow bowl and crush the garlic with a pestle.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the shrimp) and stir until well blended.
- Toss in the shrimp and coat with the marinade.
- Allow shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Meanwhile, soak the wooden skewers in water.
- Preheat a barbecue to medium-high heat (about 450° F)
- Put the shrimp on the skewers. Set the skewers on a large platter and brush with the remaining marinade.
- Grease the barbecue grill or use a non-stick spray.
- Grill the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side. Serve immediately.