I hadn’t made peanut butter cookies in a long time and had a craving for some of these hot-out-the-oven, over-sized treats. I thought I’d look up an old recipe from a cookbook that worked well in the past. When I reviewed the ingredients and saw things like lard and margarine, I thought, let’s try a little substitution and bring this recipe up to date for the sake of creating a healthier snack. But hey, it’s only healthy if you don’t eat them all to yourself in one sitting; they should be shared.
Peanut Butter & Cashew Cookies
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-natural peanut butter
- 1¼ cup flour
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Mix the sugars, coconut oil, butter, peanut oil and egg.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Line two cookie baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place 1½ inch balls of the cookie dough onto the cookie sheets, about 3 inches apart. This should fit 8 cookies per sheet.
- Flatten the dough with a fork.
- Bake 9-10 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and remove from the cookie sheets