If you love chocolate, you’ll get your fix with this easy stovetop dessert pudding made with cocoa, milk and sugar. Top it off with some fresh whipped cream.
It’s a shame how years of marketing have programmed us to abandon traditions of cooking even the simplest foods from scratch. Marketing pitches for time saving products have actually deprived us of so many wonderful natural and wholesome flavours while exposing us to lots of unpronounceable chemical compounds. Just forget those instant cake and pudding mixes and get back to basics. You will be surprised at how well you can cook from scratch by just following this simple recipe. The proof is in the pudding!
Chocolate Lovers Pudding
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup pure cocoa powder
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2¼ cups milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup shaved solid chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream (35% milk fat)
- 1 tsp icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Add the dry ingredients to a medium saucepan. Mix with a whisk.
- Stir in the milk gradually and cook on medium heat. Stir constantly until the pudding starts to boil.
- Continue to stir for 1 minute as the pudding boils.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter and vanilla and stir until the butter has melted.
- Transfer to serving dishes and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave off chocolate from a solid bar of chocolate. I prefer to shave from a block of good quality dark chocolate. Set aside.
- Chill a medium-sized glass mixing bowl in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. If you are rushed for time and haven't chilled the bowl, you could put some ice into a saucepan, (about ¼ full) then set the mixing bowl inside the saucepan.
- Add the cream to the bowl and mix the cream with a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer on the high setting for about 5 minutes or until the cream has thickened.
- Mix in the icing sugar and vanilla and add a dollop on top of each pudding bowl, garnish with the shaved chocolate and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave your rating and comment below.