This recipe has been passed down through generations and introduced to me through the descendants of Syrian immigrants. You’ve likely come across variations of this rice at middle eastern restaurants and shawarma shops. I could not imagine certain meals like Lebanese Lamb and Green Bean Stew, grilled lemon chicken or lamb kabobs without it. It also works well with many fish dishes.
Lemon Rice – Middle Eastern Style
- 1 cup long grain converted white rice
- 2 tbsp clarified butter or ghee
- 2 tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice juice of one medium lemon
- 10 strands of vermicelli or angel hair pasta
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- Soak the rice in cold water for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the butter to a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Break up the pasta into 2-inch lengths and add to the pot. Sauté the pasta in the butter on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown. Be careful not to burn the pasta.
- Work the soaking rice with your fingers to release starch then drain with a mesh screen.
- Add the rice to the pot and give it a stir to coat it in the butter.
- Add the lemon juice, water and salt then bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir before serving.
This rice is the perfect side with
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave your rating and comment below.