Hueveos Rancheros, as they are known in Spanish, is a perfect brunch dish for Mexican food lovers. You can either use small tortillas or Charras Tostadas as shown here. This dish is a great way to use up yesterday’s pico de gallo.
Huevos Rancheros (in Spanish) are eggs poached in salsa the served on tortillas and topped with melted cheese.
- 4 large eggs
- 4, 6 inch round tortillas or tostadas
- ½ green pepper diced
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup pico de gaillo or ¾ cup salsa from a jar with 1 diced tomato added
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- In a medium skillet with a lid, fry onion and green pepper until tender.
- Add pico de gaillo or salsa with the water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Crack an egg, without breaking the yolk, and place in a small bowl.