Hueveos Rancheros, as they are known in Spanish, is a perfect brunch dish for Mexican food lovers. You can either use small tortillas or Charras Tostadas as shown here. This dish provides a great way to use up yesterday’s pico de gaillo.
- 4 large eggs
- 4, 6 inch round tortillas or tostadas
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup, pico de gaillo or ¾ cup salsa from a jar with 1 diced tomato added
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- In a medium skillet with a lid, fry onion and green pepper until tender.
- Add pico de gaillo or salsa with the water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Crack an egg, without breaking the yolk, and place in a small bowl.
- With a spatula, make a hollow in the bubbling salsa mixture and carefully pour the egg into the opening. Repeat for the other eggs.
- Put the lid on the skillet and poach on medium low heat for about 3-4 minutes for soft cooked eggs or 7-8 minutes for hard cooked eggs.
- During the last minute, remove the lid and sprinkle the tops of each egg with cheese and cover to melt the cheese.
- Use a solid spatula to remove each egg and place on a tortilla or tostada. Top with the remaining ingredients from the pan.