There have been lots of variations on this recipe over the years, but you may find this offers a nice balance while being chocked full of salmon.
Salmon with Penne alla Vodka
Poached salmon marries well with penne in a vodka rosé cream sauce while smoked salmon, fresh tomatoes and basil pack an extra flavour punch.
- 8 oz salmon fillets
- 3 cups uncooked penne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup white onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed chili peppers
- ½ tsp anise seeds
- ¼ cup vodka
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes or passata
- 1 cup light cream 10%
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Roma tomato seeded and chopped
- 4-6 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 2 oz smoked salmon cut into thin strips
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Add water to a pot with a cover and a steamer basket and bring to a boil.
- Add the salmon and poach for about 7-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filets. They are ready once cooked throughout. Don't overcook them – they should be moist, tender and flaky, not dry.
- Transfer the salmon to a plate and remove the skin. With two forks, flake the salmon and set aside.
- To a large pot or wok, add the olive oil. Heat to medium and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the chili pepper and anise to the pot and heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vodka, passata and cream. Heat for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens a little.
- Stir in the flaked salmon. Bring to a simmer, just long enough to warm the salmon.
- Stir in the butter pasta, chopped tomatoes and basil.
- Transfer the mixture to serving plates and top with smoked salmon and garnish with parsley.
More salmon recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and comment below.