This spicy grilled shrimp dish captures the mouth-watering flavours of Thai cuisine. After marinating in Thai basil, lime, chili, garlic and peanut oil, jumbo shrimp are skewered and grilled to perfection.
Thai Grilled Shrimp
Marinated in Thai basil, lime, chili, garlic, this spicy grilled shrimp dish captures the mouth-watering flavours of Thai cuisine.
- 1 lb 450 g raw jumbo shrimp deveined, peeled, tails removed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp garlic 1 clove minced
- ½ cup Thai basil fresh chopped
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 1 tsp sambal chile paste or to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice 1 lime
- 4-6 wooden skewers
- Add the salt and garlic to a large shallow bowl and crush the garlic with a pestle.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the shrimp) and stir until well blended.
- Toss in the shrimp and coat with the marinade.
- Allow shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Meanwhile, soak the wooden skewers in water.
- Preheat a barbecue to medium-high heat (about 450° F)
- Put the shrimp on the skewers. Set the skewers on a large platter and brush with the remaining marinade.
- Grease the barbecue grill or use a non-stick spray.
- Grill the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side. Serve immediately.
Serve with Jasmin rice and stir-fried vegetables.