Cabbage has long been a staple of the Eastern European diet as it is well suited to grow in cooler, harsher climates, is packed with nutrients and preserves easily. The following recipe makes an ideal side dish for Schnitzel.
Sweet & Sour Cabbage
Cabbage cooked with bacon and onion and the right balance of vinegar and sugar and spice.
- 1 head of cabbage cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 tbsp light oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp onion soup mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- In a deep frying pan or wok, fry bacon until medium done. Set aside.
- Keep the bacon grease and add the oil, cabbage and onion to the pan. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the other ingredients and cook for an additional 10 minutes.