Shrimp Fra Diavolo
You are right if you thought this dish was going to be spicy, or at least it should. Fra Diavolo is Italian for “Brother Devil”, and this zesty sauce goes well with pasta and seafood. You may want to experiment a little by replacing the cream with a splash of wine or vodka or replace the salt with some chopped anchovies to really bump up the flavour.
- 12 oz shrimp, medium, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups passata (Italian tomato puree)
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 5 oz linguine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add the olive oil to a large deep skillet and heat to medium. Cook shrimp for about 1 minute per side until pink. Remove shrimp to a dish.
- Add the red peppers to the pan and cook until tender. Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook for about 1 minute.
- In a separate pot, cook the pasta and drain when tender. Meanwhile, add the passata, cream and salt to the skillet and heat.
- Stir in the shrimp to warm and coat with the sauce. Combine the sauce with the pasta and serve. Top with parsley.
- This recipe is medium spicy. Adjust the amount of chili pepper up or down a little to hit your preferred spice level.