There have been lots of variations on this recipe over the years, but you may find this offers a nice balance while being chocked full of salmon.
Salmon with Penne & Vodka Cream Sauce
This vodka and cream sauce pasta marries well with poached salmon while the smoked salmon adds that extra punch.
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes or passata
- 1 cup light cream 10%
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp crushed chili peppers
- 4 basil leaves
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup water
- 8 oz salmon fillets
- 3 oz smoked salmon cut into thin strips
- 1½ cups uncooked penne or other short pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions on package
- Add chicken stock and water to a pot with a cover and a steamer basket, bring to a boil
- Place salmon fillets on the basket and poach in the steam for about 10 minutes or until done. Fish should be moist, tender and flaky. Set aside when done and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente, drain and set aside.
- With two forks, flake the salmon and set aside.
- To a large pot, add the olive oil, heat to medium and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the Roma tomato and sauté for about 2 minutes
- Add the basil, chili pepper and vodka and allow to reduce for about 2 minutes
- Add the crushed tomatoes or passata, bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir in the cream.
- Stir in the flaked, poached salmon followed by the pasta
- Bring to a simmer and stir in the butter
- Transfer the mixture to serving plates and top with smoked salmon and parsley