Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
If you have about 1½ cups of ripe fresh pineapple to spare, and are in the mood for baking, then you and your family are sure to enjoy this twist on traditional upside-down cake. I prefer to make it in a skillet the old-fashioned way since it’s easier to melt the butter, cooks a little faster and it comes out of a non-stick frying pan very easily.
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 4 tbsp coconut butter or shortening
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt butter in 9 inch oven proof frying pan or 9 x 9 inch oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Top with pineapple pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the remaining ingredients for 30 seconds on low, then 3 minutes on high.
- Pour mixture over the pineapple then bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Immediately invert onto a serving plate but let the frying pan cover the cake for about 5 minutes.
- You can add either maraschino or canned sweet cherries along with the pineapple.