A simple one-pot sausage and pasta dish with garlic, mushroom and Parmesan cheese.
This is one of those recipes that can be very delicious if you use quality ingredients. Get some nice spicy Italian sausage from your favourite butcher shop and a wedge of authentic Parmesan or Asiago cheese that you will grate yourself to ensure the freshest, richest flavour. Don’t overlook the fresh parsley as it serves to balance out the strong flavours from the garlic, cheese and spices.
Penne with Sausage & Mushroom
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausages casings removed and cut into bitesize pieces
- 10 cremini or coffee mushrooms cut in halves
- 3 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiana Reggiano or Asiago cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped finely
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Roast the garlic in olive oil – be careful not to overcook it.
- Remove the garlic and discard.
- Add the mushrooms and sausage to the pan and cook the sausage until the pink is almost gone.
- Add butter, cheese and pasta.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.