Niagara Peach Crisp
Have fresh peaches in season? Try this variation of crisp with its buttery, oatmeal crumbly topping. Baking the fruit really intensifies its flavour.
If you are lucky enough to be in the Niagara region in mid-summer, make sure to take the scenic drive along the Niagara Parkway between the falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake. You’ll pass a number of wineries and perhaps be tempted to do a little tasting. This is also one of the best tracts of tender fruit growing areas of the country and you’ll also find orchard operated fruit stands here. While some offer the pick-your-own experience, this is an area that sees lots of tourists and operators have some strict rules to keep things orderly and prevent losses. Another option is to visit a well established fruit stand like Van de Laar Orchards Fruit Market where they believe that:
Customers deserve the very best, the Van de Laars tree ripen their fruit and only harvest when all fruit has achieved their optimal flavour profile, giving their customers a taste sensation rarely found. All fruit is individually sorted and inspected and only the produce which meets their highest standards are retailed at the market.
I can remember the first time eating a peach in the car after leaving the fruit stand when I was just a kid. It was so ripe and juicy-sweet that its juice literally ran right down to my elbow after taking my first bite. When you buy a basket or two and fear you wont eat them all before they start to over-ripen, why not set about 5 plump ones aside for a peach crisp.
- 4 cups peaches (about 5 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup flour
- 10 tbsp softened butter
- 1 tsp cinamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 oz dark rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2 quart ( 2 inches deep) baking dish.
- Spread out peaches in the bottom of the baking dish. Splash with rum (optional).
- In a separate bowl, mix all other ingredients, making sure that the butter is well absorbed into dry ingredients. The mixture should have a crumbly texture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Top with ice cream or whipping cream if desired.