Leave it to the Italians to take something simple like rice to the next level. This northern Italian specialty is so versatile and oh so delicious. By adding a few extra ingredients to the traditional recipe, you can make this dish into your own creation. Here, spinach and mushrooms were thrown in, adding some extra texture, colour and some subtle flavours as well. I served the risotto as a side dish with grilled chicken and paired it with the same Chardonnay that I cooked with.
Mushroom & Spinach Risotto
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese grated
- 1 tbsp butter
- To a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion on medium heat.
- Add the rice and cook for about four to five minutes or until lightly toasted and evenly coated with the oil.
- Add the wine, mushrooms and spinach, reduce the heat to low.
- Stir until the wine is absorbed by the rice.
- Meanwhile, heat the broth to lukewarm in a separate saucepan or microwave oven, then add about a half cup to the skillet.
- Stir often to and allow it to be absorbed by the rice. Repeat using about a half cup at a time over about 30 minutes until all the broth has been absorbed.
- When the rice has reached the ideal texture (normally this would be slightly al dente) stir in the butter and cheese.