Lebanese Lamb & Green Bean Stew
This recipe combines some popular middle eastern ingredients and is based on the common stewed green bean dish called Loubieh Ruz. I like to add some meat and serve over lemon rice to make this a simple two dish meal.
- 3 cups cut green beans (cooked fresh or canned)
- 2 cups tomato juice, V8 juice or passata
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cups chopped lamb
- ½ tsp chile pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Steam the green beans until tender. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet or wok, heat the oil and stir fry the onions and peppers.
- After the onion and pepper are tender add the garlic and the meat and cook for about two minutes, stirring often.
- Add the green beans, tomato juice and spices.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over rice or as a stew with bread.
- Beef can be substituted for the lamb. I use thin sliced meat bought at a Chinese grocer, trim it then cut it into bite size pieces.