Guacamole – Traditional Mexican
This is one of the healthiest Mexican appetizers out there. It whips up in minutes and while usually served with corn chips, try it as a dip for bite size sweet peppers, celery and cucumbers (crudités). When buying avocados, make sure they are ripe by giving them a gentle squeeze. If they dent slightly, then they are just right. I also find white onion works best. Include the jalapeno seeds for more intensity.
- 3 avocados
- 1 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Slice the avocado in half lengthwise. Pop out the stone. Scrape out the pulp with a teaspoon and add to a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Stir in other ingredients. Serve immediately.