When garden ripe tomatoes are in season, let them punctuate this easy and delicious fresh tomato sauce with a few exclamation points!!! I try to use fresh, seasonal ingredients as much as possible since the flavour and nutrients are at their greatest. This dish works with both vegetarians or carnivores as the meatballs are served on the side.
Fettuccine with Fresh Marinara & Meatballs
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp onion soup mix
- 3 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp anise seeds
Sauce & Pasta
- 10 oz (300 g) fettuccine
- 6 fresh ripe Roma tomatoes
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 cup passata (crushed tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 6 tbsp Italian parsley fresh chopped
- Have a plate ready for the meatballs (since you’ll be handling the meat mixture).
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, add seasonings and chili sauce, mix well.
- Add the meat and bread crumbs and blend all ingredients with your hands.
- Put about 0.33 cup (75 g) of meat into your palm and roll it into a ball with both hands in opposing circular motion.
- Set aside on the plate, repeat until you’ve used all the meat mixture. You should get about 16 large meatballs that are about 1.5 inches in diameter
- Cook, preferably on a barbecue grill, on low for about 20 minutes, turning four times to evenly cook all sides. They may also be cooked on a broiler tray in the oven, or in a frying pan. Make sure the internal temperature reaches 160° F
Sauce & Pasta
- Add about 4 cups of water to a large saucepan (or enough to cover the pasta). Bring to a boil and cook fettuccine according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Carefully dice the tomatoes and chop the basil. Set aside in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan on low heat, add the garlic and cook until lightly browned (about 2-3 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add the olive oil and passata, and seasonings and let simmer (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pasta, tomatoes, basil, and cheese.
- Transfer the pasta mixture and meatballs to serving plates and top with the parsley.