While traditional Italian frittata is skillet fried similar to an omelette, this version is baked in a shallow casserole dish. Since this recipe includes bread, baking allows time for the liquid to be absorbed. With some garnishing on top, the resulting presentation is both festive and easy to serve.
- 2 cups bread crusts or day old crusty bread cubed
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ green pepper 3 rings, dice the rest
- ½ red pepper 3 rings, dice the rest
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 4-6 mushrooms 6 slices, dice the rest
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- thyme, salt, pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Add the bread, cheese, peppers, mushrooms, onions and bacon to a greased casserole dish. Toss to evenly distribute the ingredients. Save a few pepper and mushroom slices for garnish on top.
- Mix liquid ingredients and add baking soda and baking powder.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and blend well.
- Top with garnish. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
More breakfast recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and comment below.