While traditional Italian frittata is skillet fried similar to an omelette, this version is baked in a shallow casserole dish. Since this recipe includes bread, baking allows time for the liquid to be absorbed. With some garnishing on top, the resulting presentation is both festive and easy to serve.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups stale bread cubed
- ½ green pepper 3 rings, dice the rest
- ½ red pepper 3 rings, dice the rest
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 4-6 mushrooms 6 slices, dice the rest
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Oregano thyme, salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Put all dry ingredients into greased casserole dish, saving a few pepper pieces or rings and mushroom slices for garnish on top.
- Mix liquid ingredients and add baking soda and baking powder.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and blend well.
- Top with garnish. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.