Egg Drop Soup with Mushrooms
This light and savoury soup, popular in many Chinese restaurants, is simple to make at home with chicken broth, whisked eggs, mushrooms, and some light seasoning.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups straw mushrooms roughly chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped chives or green onions
- In a medium pot, bring the broth, to a boil then add the mushrooms and ginger.
- Allow mushrooms to simmer for about 3 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a bowl until well blended.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat and stir the broth in a circular motion to create a whirlpool.
- Slowly drizzle the blended eggs into the centre of the whirlpool to create ribbons of egg that lightly cook as they hit the broth.
- Add the green onions or chives and serve.
Straw mushrooms are used in at my favourite Chinese restaurant that inspired this recipe, but I use whatever mushroom I have on hand.