You’ll often find egg drop soup on the menu at Chinese American and Chinese Canadian restaurants. However, it’s not as common to find egg drop soup with mushrooms. I came across the straw mushroom egg drop soup a few years back when out dining at Yangtze, a long established Chinese restaurant in Ottawa’s Chinatown.
Since I rarely find straw mushrooms in my usual grocery store, I just use whatever mushrooms I have on hand when preparing this soup at home. If you’d like to experience the unique taste of the straw mushrooms, you’ll most likely have to make a trip to an Asian grocer to find them.
Egg Drop Soup with Mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups straw mushrooms roughly chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped chives or green onions
- In a medium pot, bring the broth, to a boil then add the mushrooms and ginger.
- Allow mushrooms to simmer for about 3 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a bowl until well blended.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat and stir the broth in a circular motion to create a whirlpool.
- Slowly drizzle the blended eggs into the centre of the whirlpool to create ribbons of egg that lightly cook as they hit the broth.
- Add the green onions or chives and serve.
NutritionPer serving Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Iron: 2mg
Did you make this recipe?
Add your comment and rating below
Share your photos on Instagram