When looking for a hearty dish to serve at a party (or when you have an army of teens to feed) I turn to this no-fail pasta recipe. I have nicknamed it Shell-sagna since it is closely related to baked lasagna, except it’s a bit easier to prepare and serve.
Conchiglie al Forno (Shell-sagna)
- 4 cups Bolognaise sauce *
- 2 cups passata or crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups dry large shell pasta
- 3 cups grated marble cheddar cheese mild or medium
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook the paste as per package instructions (boil about 10 minutes), drain and set aside
- Combine the Bolognaise sauce and the passata, herbs and spices
- Spray a medium roast pan (about 1 gallon or 4 litres) with non-stick spray
- Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan
- Cover with a layer of the pasta
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese
- Repeat this process ending with a layer of cheese on the top
- Cover and bake about 60 minutes at 375°F
- Remove from oven, keep covered and let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.