Beef and Barley Soup
This recipe is so hearty and makes the perfect lunch in cooler months. If you find yourself with some leftover roast beef or lamb, get yourself some “pot” barley and simmer away.
The condiment of choice for this is Worcestershire sauce for those who want to give it a little zip. All ingredients in this soup are from cooler climes like Ireland, Britain and Canada and just naturally melt together.
- 4 quarts water
- ⅓ cup dry beef stock mix
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked roast beef or lamb
- 1 cup pot barley
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped,
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer all ingredients in large soup pot for about an hour adding potatoes last.