This recipe is nice and fruity with just the right amount of pastry. Use your favorite baking apples, but I use the gala variety since they are what I usually prefer as a raw, eating apple. I like to top it with almonds but you could try pecans or walnuts too.
Apple Cobbler with Almond Topping
- 4 cups thinly sliced apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup whole milk or light cream
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange apple slices in an even layer in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle ½ cup brown sugar and cinnamon over apples.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, 1 cup white sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, melt butter then whisk together with egg and milk.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture, and stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture over apples, and sprinkle top with ¼ cup almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes.